The Buildbox is a multi-object rezzer box designed for anyone to package their builds and distribute them with no complicated setup, made by Gentek and available for free.
One advantage to the Buildbox is that it creates a unique ID for every rezzed copy, which is sent to all objects, so that they may communicate with objects in the same copy but not in other copies. For this reason, the Buildbox is ideal for IntelliDoor products and the Condor Elevator, especially when multiple copies of the build might be rezzed.
The Buildbox is mainly designed to be comparable to paid alternatives, but faster and easier to setup and use.
ATTENTION! MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSION (v1.6)!
If you do not have v1.6, get a new copy from one of the options above. The latest version includes critical bugfixes which avoid breaking your build.
Before you begin, some preliminary tips...
- Make sure your building is 100% complete and all objects are set to the correct permissions. Once you save the build, the objects themselves can't be edited, and you will have to start over.
- Make sure every single object (and inventory item inside those objects) in your build is set with "Copy" permissions - without Copy, there is a variety of problems that can occur (see "Troubleshooting" below).
- It is highly recommended that you take a copy of your build now, just in case, as a coalesced object (select all parts, right click, Take Copy).
- All objects must be named uniquely, e.g. you cannot load two objects both named "Object". You should also name all objects descriptively, so you can modify which objects make up the build later if needed. As of v1.4, objects will attempt to rename themselves if there are any conflicts.
- If possible, link together as many unscripted prims as you can to make setup easier and rezzing quicker. Remember, you can link most IntelliDoor single-prim objects.
- You cannot load "no modify" objects into the Buildbox, as they cannot have scripts added to them.
Once you've heeded the above advice, it's time to start packaging:
- Rez a Buildbox and position/rotate it so that it is facing the front of your building, the box is placed directly on the sidewalk/ground/foundation, and it is directly up against the front of your building. This is not required, but makes rezzing easier.
- Click the box and select "Load Mode".
- For every object in your build, do the following:
- Drag the
_BUILDBOX-SLAVEscript into the object's root prim.
- Wait for the confirmation that the object has been saved.
- Take the object into your inventory. You should take the object directly instead of take copy, so you can see which objects are left, although you can take a copy if you really want - it won't break anything.
- Drag the
- When all the objects are taken, click the box and select "Finalize".
- Drag all of the objects into the box's inventory. The box should turn green and you will get a message when it's ready.
- Test the box by clicking it and selecting "Rez". Once all pieces have been rezzed, make sure it's working correctly, then click the box and select "Delete". It will return to the Ready To Rez state. Rename the box appropriately and take it.
Your build is now saved in the box and can be distributed and rezzed.
NOTE: Do not put the contents of the Buildbox into your own box, or the script may be reset and you will lose the stored build information.
- Rez the box and position/rotate it to your preference.
- Click the box and select "Rez". It will take a few seconds to rez everything for higher-prim builds.
- You can also click "Safe Rez" to rez without a Buildbox ID (BBIDNONE). If you are planning on rezzing only one copy of the building, or you are otherwise instructed to, Safe Rez should be used.
- When finished rezzing, all objects will move into place and the box will turn blue. You can move/rotate the box and the whole build will move along with it instantly.
- Once the build is in place, click the box and select "Finish".
If you finalize your build before it has all been set up, you can click the "Load Mode" button to go back into load mode without losing your progress.
The included _BUILDBOX-UNDO script will safely remove the _BUILDBOX-SLAVE script and unlist the object from the Buildbox's internal object list. It will also send the appropriate API commands to return any scripts in the object to their normal state - for example, it will take the IntelliDoor and Condor Elevator out of Buildbox mode so they can be used again. Simply drag the _BUILDBOX-UNDO script into the object. This is useful if you accidentally mess something up in the object and need to start over.
The Buildbox can be used by anyone! There are 4 simple API commands sent by the Buildbox when used:
- BUILDBOX_SAVED - sent when the _BUILDBOX-SLAVE script has been added and the object has been added to the Buildbox. It's a good idea to set the object to a normal state and block any more input until the BUILDBOX_FINISH command is sent.
- BUILDBOX_START - sent when the build has been rezzed from a Buildbox.
- BUILDBOX_MOVED - sent when the build has been moved while being controlled by the Buildbox.
- BUILDBOX_FINISH - sent when the build has been finished and is ready to use.
The build ID identifier is sent in the key parameter for the BUILDBOX_FINISH command. It is a random UUID generated for every time the building is rezzed (unless Safe Rez is used, in which case it will be NONE). This is useful to prevent crosstalk between scripts in your buildings, and is featured in the IntelliDoor and Condor Elevator, for example. By default, use a build ID of "NONE" without quotes, as the _BUILDBOX-UNDO script will cause the BUILDBOX_FINISH command to be sent with a build ID of NONE.
- Condor Elevator and other devices which use the Buildbox ID do not interface correctly (NOTE: This bug was fixed in v1.6 and above.)
- This is a known bug. Update to v1.6; there is no workaround.
- Box gets stuck at Waiting for objects... (NOTE: This bug was fixed in v1.5 and above.)
- One (or more) of the objects in the box did not rez, or deleted themselves after rezzing. See the BUILD REZZING FAILED error below for troubleshooting instructions.
- "BUILD REZZING FAILED - Build could not be rezzed." (NOTE: This check was eliminated in v1.4 and above.)
- Make sure there are enough free prims on the parcel.
- Make sure rezzing is enabled, or that the object is set to the land group.
- For large builds, make sure parts aren't being moved into different parcels with no object entry, or being returned by going off-world.
- If you receive a warning from your IntelliDoor products, please contact the creator and ask them to fix the permissions. If any part of the building cannot be rezzed, the whole building will self-delete to prevent leaving prims behind.
- "SCRIPT ERROR - Duplicate script in object or script is not named correctly (must be "_BUILDBOX-SLAVE"). Script has been deleted automatically."
- Make sure you have not renamed the script.
- Make sure there is not a Buildbox slave script already in the object.
- "OBJECT SAVE FAILED - Box did not respond."
- Make sure the Buildbox is in Load Mode.
- Make sure the Buildbox is in the same region (Buildboxes do not support cross-region saving).
- Make sure the land the Buildbox is on allows scripts to run.
- "OBJECT SAVE FAILED - Another object with the same name has already been saved." (NOTE: This should be avoided in v1.4 and above - the slave script will automatically attempt to rename the object.)
- Because of the way the Buildbox keeps track of rezzed objects to ensure none are lost, each object in the build must be named differently. Rename the object.
- ">>> WARNING! <<< THIS OBJECT'S NEXT OWNER PERMISSIONS SHOULD BE SET TO COPY, OR YOUR BUILDBOX MAY BREAK! PLEASE SET PERMISSIONS NOW!"
- ">>> WARNING! <<< INVENTORY ITEM "<name>"'S NEXT OWNER PERMISSIONS SHOULD BE SET TO COPY, OR YOUR BUILDBOX MAY BREAK! PLEASE SET PERMISSIONS NOW!"
- You are attempting to add a no copy item to your build. Because this can cause serious problems with rezzing your building, we STRONGLY recommend setting all your objects (and any inventory/scripts inside them) to COPY permissions for the next owner.
- ">>> WARNING! <<< THIS OBJECT MUST BE SET COPY / MODIFY / NO TRANSFER BEFORE THIS BUILD IS SENT TO ANYONE, OR IT WILL MALFUNCION AND/OR DELETE ITSELF! PLEASE SET PERMISSIONS NOW!"
- ">>> WARNING! <<< SCRIPT "<name>" MUST BE SET COPY / MODIFY / NO TRANSFER BEFORE THIS BUILD IS SENT TO ANYONE, OR IT WILL MALFUNCION AND/OR DELETE ITSELF! PLEASE SET PERMISSIONS NOW!"
- ">>> WARNING! <<< CONFIG NOTECARD MUST BE SET COPY / MODIFY / TRANSFER (FULL PERMS) BEFORE THIS BUILD IS SENT TO ANYONE, OR IT WILL MALFUNCION AND/OR DELETE ITSELF! PLEASE SET PERMISSIONS NOW!"
- These are messages generated by the IntelliDoor products and the Condor Elevator because you did not follow the instructions in the Builder Kit's user manual immediately after unboxing to set permissions, or you have linked the components to a separate object which is not permissioned correctly. If you do not fix this, the object will be deleted when it is sent to anyone, and the build will automatically delete when rezzed!
- "This door (or the script inside it) has been set to TRANSFER permissions - however, you don't appear to have purchased this door with full permissions." (...)
- This is an error message generated by the IntelliDoor products and the Condor Elevator because the creator didn't follow the instructions as stated above and didn't heed the warnings they got, as also stated above. Please do not contact us to fix this. You must contact the person who sold you the building.
Updates & Release Notes
If you do not have the latest version, please re-purchase (for free) from the Marketplace, click the link at the top of this page, get a redelivery at a CasperVend terminal, or contact Nelson Jenkins.
- Fixed a bug where the BBID would not save correctly in objects rezzed late in the rez queue
- Fixed a bug where an object deleting itself on rez causes the box to freeze up when rezzing
- Eliminated rez checker (if you were having problems with large builds not rezzing correctly, this should fix that)
- Added auto-renamer in _BUILDBOX-SLAVE to avoid duplicate object names
- Added space trimmer to delete leading/trailing spaces in object name (due to LSL limitations, this used to break the Buildbox's object detection)
- Hotfix for a minor bug
- Added warning for objects with spaces at front or end of name
- Trims object names so common "object still missing from box" bug is avoided
- Fixed problems for builds over 100 objects.
- Primary public release.